Protocol of Condolences Book and Official Mourning


Mr. El Hayek, an embassy officer asked me directly after the terrorist attack on France about the protocol of opening a condolences book and official Mourning, with my answer, I express my sincere sympathy and solidarity with France.


Dear Salam, 
 I hope you are doing well. Grateful if you could share with me some tips about the protocol of official mourning, opening of the book of condolences, etc..(as it happened in Paris after the bombings).  Many thanks for your precious help, 
 J. El Hayek


Good morning Mr. El Hayek,
Hope you’re fine, mourning differs between cultures, countries and its traditions, official the flags must flown at half, attire has to be formal, and showing respect is a must.

As for the condolences book, its usually hard to find the right words, but the most important thing is writing in the book, here the words are far less important than the fact that you attended the ceremony and have made an effort in writing something.  The message mustn’t be long two or three sentences are fare enough, express your sympathy, share your personal memory if any and try to avoid clichés, finish the message with a compassionate  phrase convoying friendship and support.

My condolences to you and our beloved France,
Salam Saad








Comments

Popular Posts